Zoning Code Update
Public Review Draft Final Zoning Code and Zoning Map Amendments
- Complete Final Zoning Code (Introduced May 16, 2018 / Adoption June 6, 2018)
- Public Review Draft Final Zoning Code (Published March 7, 2018)
- Draft Zoning Map Update (March 21, 2018, corrected April 2, 2018)
- Draft Zoning Map Update (corrections May 11 and 15, 2018)
- Parcels with a Proposed Zoning Change (Map and Table from Addendum to EIR)
- Additional Planning Commission Recommendations (Exhibit C, April 24, 2018)
- Addendum to Morgan Hill 2035 EIR (March 2018, revised April 4, 2018)
- 1. 275 Tennant Avenue (Dan Eakins)
- 2. Morgan Hill Hotel Coalition (J. Randall Toch)
- 3. 70 W. 5th Street (Nicole Grave)
- 3.a. 70 W. 5th Street (Nicole Grave)
- 4. Section 18.108.070 Minor Exceptions (Craig van Kuelen)
- 5. 900 Lightpost Way (Sofia Fedotova)
- 6. 30 and 50 Myrtle Avenue (Michael J. Eggers)
- 7. Floor Area Ratio - Porches (Ruggeri-Jensen-Azar)
- 8. Nina Lane (Burgos)
- 9. NW/C Caputo and Tennant Avenues (Reuben, Junius & Rose, LLP)
- 10. Commissioner Mueller Comments/Concerns (updated 5/16/18)
- Planning Commission Recommendation April 24, 2018 (Reso. No. 18-10)
Background and Update Process
One of the components of the Morgan Hill 2035 project is the comprehensive update of the City's Zoning Code. Although amended many times, the Zoning Code (link to current Code) has not been comprehensively updated since 1981. As a result, the Zoning Code suffers from problems with organization, consistency, and flow, which makes it difficult for readers to find what they are looking for and to understand what they find.
The City of Morgan Hill Planning Commission and City Council identified the following goals for the Zoning Code Update:
- Implement and achieve consistency with the Morgan Hill 2035 General Plan;
- Create a user-friendly code for applicants, staff, and City officials;
- Modernize terminology and requirements to reflect current practices; and,
- Improve regulations to effectively address land use and development issues.
In a series of workshops beginning on August 29, 2017, the Planning Commission evaluated how well the Public Review Draft Zoning Code achieves the four stated goals for the update and review specific chapters and sections of the Zoning Code that are particularly relevant to the Commission's designated responsibilities.
The first workshop was held on August 29, 2017 (link to staff report and attachments) and included: an overview of the Zoning Code Update process; a review of the organization of the Zoning Code; highlight of key substantive changes to the Zoning Code; and, identification of key policy considerations the Commission would like to discuss at subsequent workshops.
A Joint City Council / Planning Commission Study Session was held on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 5:30 p.m. The purpose of this study session was for the Planning Commission and staff to receive feedback/direction from the City Council on a list of six topics and related questions the Commission identified in its review of the Public Review Draft Zoning Code.
The Planning Commission's thorough evaluation of the Public Review Draft Zoning Code resulted in over 100 comments and suggested edits to better achieve the above stated Zoning Code Update goals. These comments and edits are consolidated into a Comment Tracking Matrix.
Public Review Draft Final Zoning Code
The Public Review Draft Final Zoning Code is available for public review beginning on March 7, 2018.
Please submit any comments or questions to John Baty, Principal Planner by email: John.Baty@MorganHill.ca.gov or mail: Development Services Center, 17575 Peak Avenue, Morgan Hill, CA 95037.
Public Hearing Dates
Planning Commission and City Council hearing dates for adoption of the Zoning Code Update have occurred or are tentatively scheduled for Tuesday, March 27, 2018, April 10, 2018, and April 24, 2018 (Planning Commission) and Wednesday, May 16, 2018 (City Council).