Do 1 Thing
Being prepared for disasters and emergencies can seem like a big job. Many people don't know where to start, so they never start at all. With you can take small steps that make a big difference in an emergency. is a 12-month program that makes it easy for you to prepare yourself, your family, and your community for emergencies or disasters.
January - Make a Plan
Understand what puts you at risk from disasters and take steps to lower your risk.
- Make a Plan Fact Sheet
- Video supporting the Make a Plan Fact Sheet
February - Water
Have 72 hours (3 days) worth of water stored for your household use.
March - Sheltering
Know how to respond safely when instructions are given to evacuate or take shelter.
- Sheltering Fact Sheet
- Video supporting the Sheltering Fact Sheet
April - Food
Have an emergency food supply that will meet the needs of your household for three days without outside help.
May - Work, School & Community
Make sure everyone in your household can receive, understand, and act on information received in an emergency.
- Work, School & Community Fact Sheet
- Video Supporting the Work, School & Community Fact Sheet
June- Unique Family Needs
Be aware of and prepare for your family's unique needs.
- Unique Family Needs Fact Sheet
- Video Supporting the Unique Family Needs Fact Sheet
July- Family Communication Plan
Have the ability to communicate with family members during a disaster.
- Family Communication Plan Fact Sheet
- Video Supporting the Family Communication Plan Fact Sheet
August - Get Involved
Make your community stronger by getting trained and getting involved.
- Get Involved Fact Sheet
- Video Supporting the Get Involved Fact Sheet
September - Be Informed
Make sure everyone in your household can receive, understand, and act on information received during an emergency.
October - Power
Be able to safely meet your electrical needs during an outage.