The City Attorney, directly appointed by the City Council, is responsible for administration of all legal affairs of the City. The City Attorney is supported by an Assistant City Attorney, a Legal Specialist, and a Risk Management Analyst.
The City Attorney is responsible for:
- Representing the City in litigation, administrative hearings, and other legal matters
- Preparing and/or reviewing all ordinances, resolutions, contracts, bonds, real estate documents, and other legal documents for the City
- Providing legal advice and opinions to the City Council, Successor Agency of the former Morgan Hill Redevelopment Agency, City boards and commissions, and City teammates
- Overseeing all work done by outside counsel on behalf of the City
- Prosecuting all violations of the Morgan Hill Municipal Code
The City's Risk Management function is also supervised and administered by the City Attorney's Office. As the City's Risk Manager, the City Attorney is responsible for:
- Reviewing and assessing all claims for damages
- Reviewing all contract insurance
- Overseeing the general liability insurance fund budget
- Representing the City on the PLAN JPA Board of Directors
The City Attorney does not represent or provide legal services to individuals or private entities. For information and/or referral to an attorney, please contact the Santa Clara County Bar Association at 408-971-6822.
The mission of the City Attorney's Office is to provide vigorous, cost-effective legal representation to the City of Morgan Hill.