The Office of the Fire Marshal is committed to the Protection of Life and Property through the development and application of Fire Prevention Engineering, Education and Enforcement.
The Office of the Fire Marshal supports the Fire Department by focusing on fire prevention. The Fire Marshal provides support through a variety of responsibilities including:
- Regulating the use and maintenance of buildings
- Controlling potentially dangerous materials, products, and processes
- Providing oversight for fire prevention in wildland areas
- Reviewing regulations and building standards
- Providing training and education to both Fire Staff and the general public
Frequently Asked Questions
- Who do I submit my plans to? All plans are submitted to the Building Department in the Development Services Center.
- Who is conducting the fire prevention inspections in Morgan Hill? Fire prevention inspections are conducted by the Fire Marshal and Engine Company personnel assigned to the Morgan Hill Fire Department.
- Who is conducting the Hazardous Materials inspections in Morgan Hill? Those inspections are handled by the Santa Clara County Department of Environmental Health at (408) 299-6930
- How do I obtain fire flow information? Submit your requests by email to the Fire Marshal.
- How do I request a fire inspection? During construction and remodel, call the inspection hotline (the phone number is located on your permit).
- For all other requests, contact the Fire Marshal directly.
- How do I obtain public records? Contact the city clerk's office directly.
- How do I report a fire hazard or concern? Contact the Fire Marshal directly. You may remain anonymous.
- How do I file a complaint about a neighbor's weeds? Contact the Santa Clara County Weed Abatement Program directly at (408) 282-3145.
- How do I file a complaint about a neighbor's fire pit (open burning)? Contact the Bay Area Air Quality Management District directly at (877) 466-2876.
- How do I find out if it's a permissive burn day or if I need to obtain a burn permit? Contact the Bay Area Air Quality Management District directly.
- How do I request a fire station tour or fire safety presentation? Please provide the date, time, size of the group, and street the fire station you wish to visit is located on and contact the fire department directly at (408) 778-3259.
- How do I contact the fire department (non-emergency)? Contact the fire department directly at (408) 778-3259.
- How do I become a volunteer? Contact the fire department directly at (408) 778-3259.
- How do I obtain a fire report? Contact Fire Prevention at CAL FIRE headquarters at (408) 779-2121
Fire Prevention Division Standard Details & Specifications
- 11-A - Access-Controlled Doors (PDF)
- 11-B - Apparatus Access (PDF)
- 11-C - Fire Safety Regulations for Barbeques on Balconies, Patios and Decks of Residential Occupancies Having More Than 2 Dwelling Units (PDF)
- 11-D - Construction Site Fire Safety (PDF)
- 11-E - Specifications for Driveways, Turnarounds and Turn Outs Serving up to 2 Single Family Dwellings (PDF)
- 11-Friday through Fire Lane Marking (PDF)
- 11-G - Closure of Private Roadways, Driveways, Fire Apparatus Access Roadways and Gates (PDF)
- 11-H - Haunted Houses / Ghost Walks (PDF)
- 11-I - Key Box Placement and Required Keys (PDF)
- 11-J - Large Family Day Care Homes (PDF)
- 11-K - Marking of Fire Department Connections, Post Indicator Valves, Fire Sprinkler Control Valves and Fire Hydrants (PDF)
- 11-L - Model Rocket Guidelines (PDF)
- 11-M - Outdoor Carnivals and Fairs (PDF)
- 11-N - Storage and Use of Portable Liquefied Petroleum Gas Outdoor Heaters (PDF)
- 11-O - Private Hydrants for Other Than Single Family Dwellings (PDF)
- 11-P - Private Fire Protection Water Supply Tanks and Hydrants for Single Family Dwellings (PDF)
- 11-Q - Specifications for the Design and Installation of Fire Sprinkler Systems in Multi-Unit Residential Buildings (PDF)
- 11-R - Installation of Fire Sprinkler Systems in One and Two Family Dwellings (PDF)
- 11-S - Tents, Canopies and Temporary Membrane Structures (PDF)
- 11-T - Installation of Fire Service Underground Piping (PDF)