Additional Information

Site Approval
All new commercial / industrial construction requires site approval prior to submitting an application for a building permit. You may contact the Planning Department for assistance with questions regarding site approval.

Hazardous Materials
Each application for commercial / industrial projects routed to the Hazardous Materials section of the Santa Clara County Fire Department must include a Hazardous Materials Disclosure Form and must be signed by the owner / occupant.

A list of regulated materials and the Haz-Mat Disclosure Form (PDF) are available from the Building Division or Santa Clara County Fire.

Health Department Approval
Permits for the following establishments require Santa Clara County Health Department approval:

  • Bakeries
  • Commercial swimming pools
  • Fruit stands
  • Meat markets
  • Pet stores
  • Restaurants
  • Retail food stores

For further information, please contact the Health Department at 408-918-3400.

Lead-Safe Work Practices for Pre-1978 Buildings
Does the EPA "Renovation, Repair and Painting" rule (RRP) apply to your job? Go to the Lead Renovation, Repair, and Painting Program website for information regarding renovations when lead based paint is present. See the Fact Sheet on lead based paint from the EPA.