Utility Inspections at Property Sale



As of November 23, 2022, the forms for the Private Sewer Lateral (PSL) and Water Conservation Ordinances, known as "Utility Inspections at Property Sale, have been combined into one form for each. 

Old versions of the inspection forms will be accepted until January 1, 2023. 


As of June 1, 2022, two new inspections and retrofits and/or repairs are required prior to property sale. These requirements were adopted through the Private Sewer Lateral Ordinance (PDF) and Water Conservation Ordinance (PDF). These ordinances help our community conserve water, protect local creeks, and prevent sewer overflows.

In parallel with this ordinance, the City continues its commitment to the health and safety of our community and is working diligently on the public sewer lines. 

See Exemption form for potential exemptions. 

Required Forms

Below are the required forms to receive Certificates of Compliance before property sale. Please follow the process outlined in the Point of Sale Flow Chart (PDF) and use the forms listed below.

Financial Assistance Programs

Private Sewer Lateral Repair and/or Replacement Grant

  • To learn how to apply for private sewer lateral repair/replacement financial assistance program, please visit our Grant webpage.

 Toilet Replacement Program

  • Are you a part of the PG&E Energy Savings Assistance Program? That means you are also eligible to receive a free high efficient toilet to replace your toilet(s) 1.6 gallons per flush or greater.
  • A maximum of 3 toilets may be replaced per household.
  • Full toilet replacement is required to meet the provisions of the Water Conservation Inspection Ordinance. No retrofit kit upgrades or flapper replacements will be accepted. 
  • Replacements are available until funds are depleted. 
  • To apply and for more details reach out to Valley Water's Water Conservation Program. 

Qualified Contractors/Licensed Plumbers

Private Sewer Lateral - Qualified Contractors

To prevent inflow and infiltration of storm water and sewer overflows, private sewer lateral lines for all residential, commercial, and industrial buildings will need to be inspected by a Qualified Plumbing Contractor (PDF).

Water Conservation - Licensed Plumbers

To conserve water for all residential, commercial, and industrial buildings plumbing fixtures (toilets, showerheads, and urinals) will need to be inspected by a Licensed Plumbing Contractor.

Private Sewer Lateral
Qualified Contractor Requirements
Water Conservation
Licensed Plumber Requirements
State Licensed with California (C-36)State Licensed with California (C-36)
Morgan Hill Business LicenseMorgan Hill Business License
NASSCO Certification

If deficiencies are found, repairs must be made to meet the City's standards prior to the sale of private property. 

Please see the current list of Qualified Contractor's (PDF) for the Private Sewer Lateral Inspection. If you are a plumber and meet the three requirements above, please contact PSL.WC@morganhill.ca.gov to be added to the Qualified Contractor's List.

Ready to Turn on Water Service? 

Go to the Utility Billing Division and complete the "Start residential water service" form and provide:

  1. Certificates of Compliance for Private Sewer Lateral and Water Conservation; AND/OR
  2. Exemption Form for Utility Inspections at Property Sale; OR
  3. Transfer of Responsibility Form for Utility Inspections at Property Sale 

Need to Make Repairs to the PSL? 

Contact the Building Department to ensure all appropriate permits are pulled: